Hashem Abedi jailed for life for Manchester Arena bombing that killed 22

 Hashem Abedi jailed for life for Manchester Arena bombing that killed 22


Hashem Abedi, the brother of the Manchester Arena bomber, has been sentenced to life in jail with a minimum of 55 years after being found guilty of 22 counts of murder. 

 

Abedi, 23, was found guilty of attempted murder and plotting to cause an explosion likely to endanger life on March 17, shortly before trials were halted by the pandemic.

 

The Old Bailey previously heard how he had helped his older sibling Salman Abedi, blow himself himself up inside the Manchester Area, shortly after an Ariana Grande concert finished on May 22 2017. The explosion killed 22 people between the ages of eight and 51 and injured 139 others.

 

Hashem Abedi jailed for life for Manchester Arena bombing that killed 22

 

Sentencing Abedi today, August 20, judge Jeremy Baker told the court: "The defendant should clearly understand the minimum term he should serve is 55 years. He may never be released." 

 

The judge also sentenced Abedi to life in prison with a minimum of 44 years for attempted murder, and a minimum of 35 years for plotting to cause an explosion. He told the court both Abedi and his brother were "equally culpable for the deaths and injuries caused by the explosion."

 

Hashem Abedi jailed for life for Manchester Arena bombing that killed 22

Victims of the Manchester Arena bombing

 

Abedi had travelled to Libya before the bombing took place, but was extradited back to Britain to face trial after officers found his fingerprints at key sites where the explosives were kept and stored.

 

Prosecutors then described him as "just as guilty" as his brother, as they presented evidence of them both buying nuts and screws for shrapnel and ordering chemicals from Amazon to make their homemade explosives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UK high commission to replace expired visa for free for Nigerians as it restarts operations

People should wear goggles for perfect protection from Coronavirus - Dr Fauci says, amid evidence virus can get into eyes

Magu ordered my arrest after I demanded my N763m legal fee - Former EFCC lawyer alleges